Physics Department, Univ.Roma 1 La Sapienza
- 1956 Graduated in Physics at the University of Rome
- Researcher at the Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare and assistant professor at Rome University
- 1970 Full professor at the University of Padua (electrodynamics)
- 1974 Full professor at the Sapienza University of Rome (mathematical methods for physics)
- currently: professor emeritus
- currently: member of the Comité de Programmation Scientifique of the Institut Henri Poincaré in Paris
- (With Y. Nambu), construction of the first model in elementary particle phyiscs realizing spontaneous symmetry breaking, known as Nambu-Jona-Lasinio model.
- (With C. Di Castro), early introduction (1969) of field-theoretic renormalization group in the study of critical phenomena
- Theory of stationary states far from equilibrium
- Theory of stochastic processes
- 2012 Dannie Heineman Prize for Mathematical Physics Recipient
- Journal of Statistical Physics Volume 115, Numbers 1-2 / April 2004 "In Honor of Gianni Jona-Lasinio's 70th Birthday"
- Member of the "Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei"
- Feltrinelli National Prize
- Spontaneous Symmetry Breaking in Particle Physics: a Case of Cross Fertilization, Nobel lecture on behalf of Y. Nambu (8 December 2008, Stockholm University)