Dear Yeongmi and Matthias, Thanks for the comprehensive review of haptic displays. Please find below my minor corrections:
1) "the term Haptic Display refers to interfaces" -> "the term Haptic Displays refer to interfaces"
2) Gault, R. H. (1924) and Freeman, E., Brewster, S., & Lantz, V. (2014, November) are not cited in the document but in the reference list.
3) "The mechanism was capable of providing force-feedback from..." -> "The mechanism was capable of providing force feedback from..."
4) "Feedback was initially provided in two, and ultimately in six degrees-of-freedom" -> "Feedback was initially provided in two, and ultimately in six degrees of freedom"
5) "Jackson, B., & Rosenberg, L. (1995). Force feedback and medical simulation. Interactive Technology and the New Paradigm for Healthcare (Amsterdam, 147-151." -> "Jackson, B., & Rosenberg, L. (1995). Force feedback and medical simulation. Interactive Technology and the New Paradigm for Healthcare. IOS Press, Amsterdam, pp. 147-151."
6) "pin array displays (e.g. actuated by linear motors or solenoids)" requires a reference.
7) "Furthermore, temperature stimuli are typically realized with Peltier-elements." requires a reference.
8) "that are attached to a haptic mechanisms" -> "that are attached to a haptic mechanism"
9) "Grange, S., Conti, F., Rouiller, P., Helmer, P., & Baur, C. (2001). Overview of the Delta Haptic Device. In In Eurohaptics’ 01." -> "Grange, S., Conti, F., Rouiller, P., Helmer, P., & Baur, C. (2001). Overview of the Delta Haptic Device. In Proc. of Eurohaptics’01."
10) Van Erp et al., 2005 is cited in the text but not in the reference list.
11) "Kim, Y., Cha, J., Oakley, I., & Ryu, J. (2009). Exploring tactile movies: An initial tactile glove design and concept evaluation." -> "Kim, Y., Cha, J., Oakley, I., & Ryu, J. (2009). Exploring tactile movies: An initial tactile glove design and concept evaluation. MultiMedia, IEEE , vol.PP, no.99, pp.1,1, 0."
12) The following sentence disrupts the flow of the paragraph: "Tactile feedback may be presented according to a user´s movement or action, however, also the passive display of information is possible."
13) "For instance, air-jets are a comparatively simple technical solution to generate non-contact haptic feedback." requires a reference.
14) "Pneumatics are employed to created air vortices" requires a reference.
15) "By applying a periodic voltage change between an electrode and an insulator an attractive force is generated between a sliding finger and the insulator plate." -> "By applying a periodic voltage on an electrode covered by an insulator, an electrostatic attractive force is generated between a sliding finger and the insulator plate."
16) "This was used to provide access to the touch screen device to visually impaired persons" -> "This was used to make the touch screen device accessible to visually impaired persons"
17) "new actuation and sensing technology" -> "new actuation and sensing technologies"
18) "In this regard, the technology is still lacking behind visual and auditory displays." -> "In this regard, the technology is still lagging behind visual and auditory displays."
19) Reference list could be improved by using journal versions of the cited papers instead of conference publications. For example: - Instead of McMahan and Kuchenbecker, 2014: W. McMahan, J. Gewirtz, D. Standish, P. Martin, J. Kunkel, M. Lilavois, A. Wedmid, D. I. Lee, and K. J. Kuchenbecker. Tool contact acceleration feedback for telerobotic surgery. IEEE Transactions on Haptics, 4(3):210-220, July-September 2011.
- Instead of Santos-Carreras, et al., 2010: Santos-Carreras, L; Leuenberger, K; Samur, E; Gassert, R; Bleuler, H, "Tactile Feedback Improves Performance in a Palpation Task: Results in a VR-Based Testbed," Presence , vol.21, no.4, pp.435,451, Nov. 2012
Best wishes, Evren
Thank you for your interesting summary.
In the section "Early development of haptic display" haptic substitution is only implicitly mentioned. Therefore: o I recommend to generally write that haptic display is commonly used in sensory substitution mostly to vision but also to hearing and equilibrium. Haptic displays for sensory substitution are used for rehabilitation, scientific and also augmentation purposes. o I would have added the term "substitution" when referring to the sensory transfer. For instance, "haptic substitution of sounds" when describing Gault's work, or the term "vision to touch substitution" when you describe the Optacon. o After describing the Optacon it is worth to mention Bach Y Rita's work as the first scientific use of haptic display in sensory substitution.
Please add ref. to the following: o "Various other tactile illusions have been reported" o "air jets are a comparatively simple technical solution...".