Prof. Richard Casten
Scholar of ScholarpediaCurator Index: 0
D. Allan Bromley Professor of Physics, Physics Department Yale University, USA
- Date of Birth: November 1, 1941
- B.S. Honors, Magna Cum Laude, College of the Holy Cross, June 1963
- M.S. (1964), Ph.D. (1967) Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut
Fellowships, Awards, Honors
- Danforth Foundation Fellowship for Graduate Study, 1963-67
- Fellow of the American Physical Society, the AAAS and the IOP (UK)
- Humboldt Prize (Senior U.S. Scientist Award), 1983
- “Mapping the Triangle” International Conference on Nuclear Structure held in Honor of Richard Casten’s 60th Birthday, Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming, 2002
- Honorary Doctorates from the University of Bucharest (2005), Surrey University (2008)
- Honorary Fellow of the Hellenic Nuclear Physics Society, 2008
- Mercator Professorship, Germany 2008
- Awarded DNP Mentoring Award, 2009
- 2011 Tom W. Bonner Prize in Nuclear Physics
- Who’s Who in the World, Who’s Who in America, other Who’s Who editions
- Niels Bohr Institute, Copenhagen, Denmark, Postdoctoral position, 1967-69
- Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico, Postdoc, 1969-71
- Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, New York, 1971-1997
- Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, Professor of Physics, 1995-2006; Director, WNSL, 1995-2008
- Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, D. Allan Bromley Professor of Physics, 2006 -
Selected Committee Memberships and Community Service
- RIKEN RIBF PAC, 2011-2014
- Korean Rare Isotope Science Project (RISP), 2012-
- Expert Committee on Experiment (ECE) for the NuSTAR FAIR project, 2012 -2015
- Chair, FRIB Science Advisory Committee, 2009-2014
- Chairman, DOE/NSF Nuclear Science Advisory Committee (NSAC) – 2003-2005
- NSAC Long Range Plan Working Group, 1989, 1995, 2001, 2007
- Chair DNP (APS) 2008
- Chair, ORSAY Tandem-ALTO PAC, 2011-2014
- Member, National Academy – National Research Council, RISAC Panel 2005, 2006
- Member, National Academy – National Research Council, Nuclear Physics Decadal Study Panel 2010-11
- Chair, NUSTAR PAC for Future of GSI Facility, 2004, 2005
- ICNP [Comm. for International Cooperation in Nucl. Phys. – Working Group 9, IUPAP, 2005-2009
- Comms. on International Perceptions of UK Research in Physics and Astronomy, 1999, 2005
- Chair, RIA Users Organization, many years
- Associate Editor (Nuclear Structure), Physical Review C, 2001- 2016
About 660 refereed articles and Invited Conference Talks including approximately 140 Letters. Over 11000 citations. H-index 51.
A few selected, mostly recent, publications listed below
- Emergent collectivity in nuclei and enhanced proton-neutron interactions D. Bonatsos, S. Karampagia, R.B. Cakirli, R.F. Casten, K. Blaum and L. Amon Susam Phys. Rev. C 88 (2013) 054309.
- Analytic derivation of an approximate SU(3) symmetry inside the symmetry triangle of the interacting boson approximation model Dennis Bonatsos, S. Karampagia and R.F. Casten, Phys. Rev. C 83, 054313 (2011).
- Correlations of experimental isotope shifts with spectroscopic and mass observables R.B. Cakirli, R.F. Casten and K. Blaum Phys. Rev. (Rapid Communications) C 82, 061306(R) (2010).
- SU(3) Quasidynamical Symmetry Underlying the Alhassid-Whelan Arc of Regularity, Dennis Bonatsos, E.A. McCutchan and R.F. Casten, Phys. Rev. Lett. 104 (2010) 022502.
- Enhanced Sensitivity of Nuclear Binding Energies to Collective Structure, R. B. Cakirli, R. F. Casten, R. Winkler, K. Blaum and M. Kowalska, Phys. Rev. Lett. 102 (2009) 082501.
- Empirical Signature for Shape Transitions Mediated by Sub-shell Changes, R. B. Cakirli and R. F. Casten, Phys. Rev. (Rapid Communications) C 78 (2008) 041301(R).
- Discovery of 229Rn and the Structure of the Heaviest Rn and Ra Isotopes from Penning-Trap Mass Measurements, D. Neidherr, G. Audi, D. Beck, K. Blaum, Ch. Böhm, M. Breitenfeldt, R.B. Cakirli, R.F. Casten, S. George, F. Herfurth, A. Herlert, A. Kellerbauer, M. Kowalska, D. Lunney, E. Minaya-Ramirez, S. Naimi, E. Noah, L. Penescu, M. Rosenbusch, S. Schwarz, L. Schweikhard and T. Stora, Phys. Rev. Lett. 102 (2009) 112501.
- Schottky Mass Measurement of 208Hg Isotope: Implication for the Proton-Neutron Interaction Strength around Doubly-Magic 208Pb, L. Chen, H. Geissel, W.R. Plaß, K. Beckert, P. Beller, F. Bosch, D. Boutin, L. Caceres, R.B. Cakirli, J.J. Carroll, R.F. Casten, R.S. Chakrawarthy, D.M. Cullen, I.J. Cullen, B. Franzke, J. Gerl, G.A. Jones, A. Kishada, R. Knöbel, C. Kozhuharov, S.A. Litvinov, Yu.A. Litvinov, Z. Liu, S. Mandal, F. Montes, G. Münzenberg, F. Nolden, T. Ohtsubo, Z. Patyk, Zs. Podolyák, R. Propri, S. Rigby, N. Saito, T. Saito, C. Scheidenberger, M. Shindo, M. Steck, P. Ugorowski, P.M. Walker, S. Williams, H. Weick, M. Winkler, H.-J. Wollersheim and T. Yamaguchi, Phys. Rev. Lett. 102 (2009) 122503.
- Unified Description of 0+ States in a Large Class of Nuclear Collective Models, Dennis Bonatsos, E.A. McCutchan and R.F. Casten, Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 022501 (2008).
- Simple, Empirical Order Parameter for a First Order Quantum Phase Transition in Atomic Nuclei, Dennis Bonatsos, E.A. McCutchan, R.F. Casten and R.J. Casperson, Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 142501 (2008).
- Empirical Proton-Neutron Interactions and Nuclear Density Functional Theory: Global, Regional and Local Comparisons, M. Stoitsov, R.B. Cakirli, R.F. Casten, W. Nazarewicz and W. Satula, Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 132502 (2007).
- Direct Empirical Correlation Between Proton-Neutron Interaction Strengths and the Growth of Collectivity in Nuclei, R.B. Cakirli and R.F. Casten, Phys. Rev. Lett. 96 (2006) 132501.
- Empirical Realization of a Critical Point Description in Atomic Nuclei, R.F. Casten and N.V. Zamfir, Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 052503 (2001).