Prof. Ruprecht Machleidt
Department of Physics University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho 83844-0903, U. S. A.
- Professional Status Professor of Physics
- Field of Research Theoretical Nuclear Physics
- Institution University of Idaho
- Address Department of Physics
- University of Idaho
- Moscow, Idaho 83844-0903
- U. S. A.
- Telephon Office (208) 885-6380
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Personal Website http://machleidt.weebly.com
- Nationality U.S. and German citizen
Theoretical nuclear physics; theory of nuclear forces, meson theory, chiral effective field theory; nucleon-nucleon (NN) scattering below and above the pion-production threshold,NN potentials, nuclear many-body forces, few-nucleon physics, ab initio approaches to nuclear structure and reactions; nuclear matter theory with relativity and subnuclear degrees of freedom.
Some Other Interests
Nuclear medicine, radiation therapies for the treatment of cancer, proton therapy, Greek philosophy and modern particle physics, the dream of a theory of everything through, history the Intelligent Design controversy, Science and Religion.
Main Research Accomplishments
Meson theory of nuclear forces. The Bonn meson-exchange model for the nucleon-nucleon interaction, R. Machleidt, K. Holinde, and Ch. Elster, Physics Reports 149, 1 (1987) [2614 citations according to Google Scholar] R. Machleidt, The meson theory of nuclear forces and nuclear structure, Advances in Nuclear Physics 19, 189 (1989) [1555 citations].
The Dirac-Brueckner approach to nuclear matter. Major publications: R. Brockmann and R. Machleidt, Physics Letters B 149, 283 (1984) [235 citations]; R. Brockmann and R. Machleidt, Physical Review C 42, 1965 (1990) [633 citations].
High-precision NN potentials (CD-Bonn). Major publications: R. Machleidt, F.Sammarruca, and Y. Song, Physical Review C 53, 1483 (1996) [710 citations]; R.Machleidt, Physical Review C 63, 024001 (2001) [1123 citations].
Chiral effective field theory and nuclear forces Major publications: D. R. Entem and R. Machleidt, Physical Review C 68, 04100 (2003) [627 citations]; R. Machleidt and D. R. Entem, Physics Reports 503, 1 (2011) [121 citations].
Total of 136 publications in refereed journals plus 150 conference contributions; 11,754 citations and h-index of 41 according to Google Scholar. 56 invited talks and lectures during the past 10 years.
- Ph.D., Physics, University of Bonn, Germany, 1973.
- M.S., Physics, University of Bonn, Germany, 1971.
- Acting Chair, Department of Physics, University of Idaho, August 2003 - July 2006.
- Professor of Physics (tenured), University of Idaho, since 1991.
- Associate Professor of Physics, University of Idaho, 1988-91.
- Adjunct Associate Professor of Physics, University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA), 1986-88.
- Visiting Associate Research Physicist, Los Alamos Meson-Physics Facility (LAMPF), Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico, 1986-88.
- Visiting Faculty Member, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (VPI), Blacksburg, Virginia, Fall 1985.
- Visiting Senior Scientist, Canada's National Meson-Physics Facility (TRIUMF), Vancouver, Canada, 1983-85.
- Wissenschaftlicher Assistent (assistant professor/research associate), Institute for Theoretical Nuclear Physics, University of Bonn, Germany, 1978-83.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, State University of New York at Stony Brook, 1976-77.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Bonn, Germany, 1974-75.
- Los Alamos National Laboratory, Physics Division (P-15), Los Alamos,New Mexico, 1986-88.
Reviews for Funding Agencies
U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Theoretical Physics Program
- Condensed Matter Theory Program.
- U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)
- San Diego Supercomputer Center.
- Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC).
- Australian Research Council (ARC).
- Foundation for Research Development of South Africa.
- Italian Department for Teaching and University Research (MIUR).
- CINECA, Consortium of 54 Italian Universities.
- Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare (INFN), Italy.
- Fondo Nacional de Investigacion Cienti�ca y Tecnologica, Santiago, Chile.
- FWF, Der Wissenschaftsfonds (Austrian Science Fund), Vienna, Austria.
Refereeing for Physics Journals
- Physical Review C
- Physical Review Letters
- Nuclear Physics
- Physics Letters
- Journal of Physics G: Nuclear and Particle Physics
- Few Body Systems
- Jordan Journal of Physics
- Turkish Journal of Physics
Science Citations Index
- The Science Citations Index lists in excess of 8000 citations of professional publications by R. Machleidt and an h-index of 33.
- Google Scholar reports 11,754 citations and an h-index of 41.
Awards, Memberships, Fellowships
- Fellow, American Physical Society, since 2000.
- University of Idaho Faculty Award for Research Excellence, 2001.
- Vandal Pride Award, University of Idaho, 2002.
- Distinguished Faculty Member, University of Idaho Chapter of the
- Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, since 2000.
- Faculty Excellence Award, University of Idaho Alumni Association, 2000.
- Faculty Excellence Award, Navy ROTC, University of Idaho, 1998.
- Member, Thomas Je�erson National Facility (TJNAF) User Group,
- Newport News, Virginia.
- A�liate, Institute for Nuclear Theory (INT), University of Washington,
- Seattle, Washington.
- Fellowship, Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, 1983-85.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, 1976-77.